Parents play an important role with developing a child’s literacy skills.
Here a five things you can do with your child at home to support their literacy skills:
- Set aside time for reading every day. Reading before bedtime is a good habit to get into.
- Use your finger to move across the page with each word to help your child identify and remember words and sounds.
- Try to be patient with reading with your child and try to emphasise reading accuracy over speed.
- When reading to your child, read stories with expression. This will make it more engaging and interesting for your child.
- You can also play word games, point out and talk about word meanings when reading together.