Speech Therapy For Toddlers & Preschoolers
At Eastside Speech Solutions we see a large number of very small children with little or no speech. We know how to provide effective and fun therapy in clinic for your toddler or preschooler and we can help you to learn techniques to facilitate your child’s speech at home. Communication is a tricky and complex thing and many parents spend sleepless nights wondering if their toddler or preschooler’s speech and language development and comprehension skills are normal. Whilst children develop their speech and language skills at different rates, there is a general pattern to their development which can help you determine if your child has reached the right developmental milestones for their age. A well-trained and experienced speech language pathologist will look at different aspects of your child’s communication to evaluate how they are progressing:
- Pronunciation/Articulation – where we focus on how your child says their speech sounds in words
- Language expression – focuses on what your children says and how they use words
- Understanding/language comprehension – focuses on how well your child understands instructions as well as language concepts.
- Fluency – focusing on how smoothly and correctly your child speaks without stuttering
When To Call For Help
The important thing to know is that early intervention is always preferable. A small delay in a toddler can become a big problem once a preschooler reaches school-age and starts to read and write.
If you are worried about any aspect of your toddler’s speech or understanding of what they hear, we recommend you discuss your child’s development with a pre-school teacher or carer, and if in doubt consult a speech pathologist at Eastside Speech to determine if your child is reaching the right developmental milestones.
In summary, call Eastside Speech Solutions and ask for your toddler to be assessed if :
- You are worried about your child’s language delays, comprehension, expression and/or understanding
- You think your child’s understanding is different from other children of the same age
- Your child stutters (no matter what their age)
- Your child’s voice sounds different from other children’s e.g it sounds hoarse
- Your child’s teacher express concern.
Contact Eastside Speech to find a speech pathologist for your toddler or preschooler.
Many parents wonder if their child’s speech is at the right level for their age. Talk to your preschool director about Eastside Speech providing a FREE Speech and Language screening at your centre.
Find out more information about our free preschool screening service.
Frequently Asked Speech Therapy Questions
For more information about Eastside Speech Solutions and how our speech therapist can assist with speech and language problems: