SPEECH THERAPY FOR TODDLERS AND PRESCHOOLERS
At Eastside Speech Solutions we see a large number of very small children with little or no speech. We know how to provide effective and fun therapy in clinic for your toddler or preschooler and we can help you to learn techniques to facilitate your child’s speech at home. Communication is a tricky and complex thing and many parents spend sleepless nights wondering if their toddler or preschooler’s language and comprehension skills are developing normally. Whilst children develop their listening and language skills at different rates, there is a general pattern to their development which can help you determine if your child has reached the right developmental milestones for their age. A well-trained and experienced speech pathologist will look at different aspects of your child’s communication to evaluate how they are progressing:
- Pronunciation/Articulation – where we focus on how your child says their speech sounds in words
- Language expression – focuses on what your children says and how they use words
- Understanding/language comprehension – focuses on how well your child understands instructions as well as language concepts.
- Fluency – focusing on how smoothly and correctly your child speaks without stuttering
When to call for help
The important thing to know is that early intervention is always preferable. A small delay in a toddler can become a big problem once a preschooler reaches school-age and starts to read and write.
If you are worried about any aspect of your toddler’s speech or understanding of what they hear, we recommend you discuss your child’s development with a pre-school teacher or carer, and if in doubt consult a speech pathologist at Eastside Speech to determine if your child is reaching the right developmental milestones.
In summary, call Eastside Speech Solutions and ask for your toddler to be assessed if :
- You are worried about your child’s language comprehension, expression and/or understanding
- You think your child’s understanding is different from other children of the same age
- Your child stutters (no matter what their age)
- Your child’s voice sounds different from other children’s e.g it sounds hoarse
- Your child’s teacher express concern.
Many parents wonder if their child’s speech is at the right level for their age. Talk to your preschool director about Eastside Speech providing a FREE Speech and Language screening at your centre.